Liv Golding (Facebook)
in , ,

Inhaling 15 Party Balloons Filled With Laughing Gas Left This Woman Paralyzed, Possibly For Life

Olivia Golding is a 24-year-old mother of one son from Bristol, in the United Kingdom. Now she faces an uphill battle because of a common part of festivals and parties around the world.

Recently while attending a festival while her son visited his father, Olivia inhaled 15 balloons filled with nitrous oxide—also known as “laughing gas”.

Laughing gas is easily accessible at festivals and clubs. Inhaling it provides a temporary euphoric sensation to the user.

However Golding experienced the dangerous side of the gas.

After inhaling the 15 balloons over a period of time to maintain her sense of euphoria, Olivia (Liv) began to feel a pins and needles sensation up and down her spine.

Three days passed and Liv saw a decrease in her mobility. She finally went to the hospital when she woke up and couldn’t speak or move properly.

Liv said:

“I was walking in literally like an 80-year-old woman.”

Doctors soon discovered that the nitrous oxide had caused damage to her spinal cord and nervous system, specifically Lichtheims disease.

“Lichtheim’s disease is also known as subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord (posterior and lateral columns of the spinal cord). It occurs when there is damage to the insulating myelin layer, which surrounds nerve fibers.”

Liv lost all feeling from her calves to her shoulders and cannot properly use her hands. Her doctors hope to eventually reverse the condition.

On her third day in the hospital, Liv took to Facebook to warn others of the incredible dangers of laughing gas.

 

Day 3 of being bed bound, I wanted to write this on social media to make awareness to all of my friends that also use balloons of what the balloon is actually doing to your body. If this just stops one person from doing them I feel i would have succeeded in some way. I think we have all become almost expectant to the fact of seeing balloons being sold at festivals, on the streets and even in night clubs. Over the past month my body has slowly been becoming numb, deteriorating infront of me getting to the point last week that I no longer could move my hands or even dress myself. The nitros oxide that is put into the balloon that we all crave for is actually starving your brain of oxygen and eating away at your nervous system- after having brain scans and MRI I’ve now been diagnosed with my nervous system as damaged, I have no feeling in my body from my calves to my shoulders and cannot use my hands. The doctors are now going to focus on trying to reverse this but I wanted to make everyone aware that the 20 second high off that one balloon could cause you weeks in hospital teaching yourself to walk properly again. Please think of the consequences and raise awareness of nitros oxide. But don’t worry I’ve got my grapes they make everything better right ??❤️

Posted by Liv Golding on Saturday, August 4, 2018

“Day 3 of being bed bound, I wanted to write this on social media to make awareness to all of my friends that also use balloons of what the balloon is actually doing to your body. If this just stops one person from doing them I feel i would have succeeded in some way. I think we have all become almost expectant to the fact of seeing balloons being sold at festivals, on the streets and even in night clubs.”

“Over the past month my body has slowly been becoming numb, deteriorating in front of me getting to the point last week that I no longer could move my hands or even dress myself. The nitrous oxide that is put into the balloon that we all crave for is actually starving your brain of oxygen and eating away at your nervous system- after having brain scans and MRI I’ve now been diagnosed with my nervous system as damaged, I have no feeling in my body from my calves to my shoulders and cannot use my hands.”

“The doctors are now going to focus on trying to reverse this but I wanted to make everyone aware that the 20 second high off that one balloon could cause you weeks in hospital teaching yourself to walk properly again.”

Please think of the consequences and raise awareness of nitrous oxide.

But don’t worry I’ve got my grapes they make everything better right ??❤️”

She has since posted an update on “Day 6” imploring people to “just think is it really worth it” before inhaling the gas.

Day 6, it’s getting boring in here and it’s not even started! The damage from the nitros oxide as left me something...

Posted by Liv Golding on Wednesday, August 8, 2018

“Day 6, it’s getting boring in here and it’s not even started! The damage from the nitrous oxide as left me something called Subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord- also known as Lichtheim’s disease. The disease has caused different parts of my body to shut down leaving me now unable to walk and feel my body from the chest down – giving me limited use of my hands without them closing in or shaking.

“I am unable to move with out someone assisting me and Am currently using my trips around the hospital in a wheelchair, I’m on a ward with elderly people with nerve damage and I know I really shouldn’t be here. My treatment has begun so now it’s a waiting game of the reversibility and the praying that it’s reversible.

“The doctors have asked me to get the message out there about nitrous oxide and what they are doing to peoples bodies. I understand most people will look at this post and think ‘it won’t happen to me’ but I thought that when I was sat with my friends and going to festivals until I woke up last week unable to move. It’s really not worth it, so anyone especially my friends I’m begging you to stop as you do not want the feeling (or no feeling shall I say) of what me and my family are going through.

“Just think is it really worth it. Thank you everyone for your lovely messages and gifts I really do appreciate it. Any messages that I don’t respond to I do have to wait for visitors to be here to reply as my hands aren’t doing the job; I am not ignoring anybody. ?”

 

Many people are hoping Liv’s story can serve as a warning and encourage common sense decisions.

Others feel nitrous oxide should be banned.

 

 

But mostly, people are thankful for her warning about the dangerous side effects of nitrous oxide and wishing her a speedy and full recovery.

 

 

 

 

 

 

H/T: Yahoo!, Facebook, Daily Star

Avatar

Written by B Miller

Travel lover, dog Mom, Slytherin, future wifey.