Getty Images
in

Rare Infection Mistaken For Tonsillitis Kills 23-Year-Old College Student

Samantha Scott, a 23-year-old college student, died suddenly from a rare bacterial infection. The student mistook her symptoms for tonsillitis.

Scott was one of the leads on her rowing team at Kansas State University. The young woman was pursuing an architectural engineering degree. When the student started feeling pain and swelling in her throat, she assumed it was just tonsillitis.

By the time her symptoms had progressed that she was forced to go to the hospital, it was too late. She died from the resulting complications.

It was a terrifying turn of events.

Facebook.com
Yahoo.com

The disease that killed her is called Lemierre’s Syndrome. It occurs when the bacteria infects the throat and progresses to abscesses just behind the tonsils, where the bacteria multiply.

When the abscess ruptures, the bacteria is poured into nearby structures, potentially even the jugular vein, where it can very quickly spread to the rest of the body.

Yahoo.com
Yahoo.com

Samantha Scott’s rowing coach issued a statement.
“She was so well-liked by all of her teammates and had such a big impact on our program both on and off the water. We are all still in a state of shock, and we will continue to keep her family in our thoughts and prayers.”

Kennidi Cobbley, a longtime friend of Scott, spoke about the young woman.
“She could cheer you up if you were having a bad day, and just going to practice was like being with your family and being with someone who was always upbeat and happy.”

Cobbley has set up a GoFundMe page to assist the family with the funeral costs.

H/T: SELF, Yahoo

Avatar

Written by Ben Acosta

Ben Acosta is an Arizona-based fiction author and freelance writer. In his free time, he critiques media and acts in local stage productions.