One would hope that people preparing your food during the pandemic are wearing protective face coverings with the expectation that they remain on their faces—not winding up in the food you are about to eat.
A mother was furious after she claimed to witness her 6-year-old daughter choking on pieces of blue surgical mask material that was allegedly baked into her Chicken McNuggets.
Her happy meal was anything but happy.https://t.co/4CIGg6XTNF
— New York Post (@nypost) August 5, 2020
Hampshire Live reported that Laura Arber returned home early Tuesday evening after picking up dinner with three of her four children from a McDonald’s in the town of Aldershot, Hampshire, England.
As they were eating at home, Arber saw her daughter Maddie choking on her food while sitting on the couch.
The 32-year-old mother recounted the alarming incident with the news outlet.
“My little daughter just started choking and I put my fingers down her throat to loop it out there was just blue with the sick. I thought what on earth is this?!”
“I didn’t even think it could be the chicken nugget but looked over at the box and all you could see was this blue coming out of another chicken nugget in the box of 20.”
“And the mask is cooked into it, like a part of the mixture and it’s clearly a mask. You can see the seam and how solid it is in there.”
Below are screenshots from a video obtained by BBC.
Blue surgical face mask was baked into McDonald's Chicken McNuggets https://t.co/A1coE0AGsH
— Larry Richman 🌊 (@larry411) August 5, 2020
The frustrated mother went and spoke to the store’s manager after contacting the restaurant by phone and was told the nuggets were not prepared on-site.
She became infuriated knowing the restaurant continued serving the nuggets after being apprised of her disturbing news.
“And the worse thing was that they carried on serving them!? Before I left I said ‘Are you going to keep serving them?’.”
“And they were carrying on serving them and that was the big thing for me.”
“I just couldn’t believe the way the management were handling it.”
Arber said she was bitterly disappointed in McDonald’s since their philanthropic organization—Ronald McDonald House Charities UK—had once provided her with free accommodations after she gave birth to her son in intensive care.
The mother shared her daughter’s choking incident as a warning to the community in a since-deleted post on a Facebook group.
“What if I had walked out of the room and my daughter had choked?”
“She could have died. It’s a split-second thing. I am just thinking, we have just come out of a pandemic and there is a face mask in my child’s chicken nugget.”
How awful. Glad she is alright though. She looks like a superwoman.
— Caro (@Pistachioverte) August 5, 2020
According to the Daily Mail, a spokesperson for the popular fast-food chain issued a formal apology in the following statement:
“We are very sorry to hear about this customer’s experience.”
“Food safety is of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards to avoid any imperfections.”
“When the matter was brought to the attention of our staff, we apologized, offered a full refund and asked the customer to return the item so we could further investigate the matter and isolate the affected product.”
Minimum for compensation, this family should have breakfast, lunch & dinner combo meals free for the rest of their life. What about 10% shares from McDonald?
— Justin 🇺🇸🇨🇳🌈 (@JCNYC1970) August 5, 2020
Should be a court settlement…ain’t no refunds 💅🏾
— J o s i a n e🌸 (@msbulu) August 5, 2020
McDonalds UK is still investigating the incident.