Sex can have many unexpected consequences. But we rarely think of anaphylactic shock as one of them.
In Baltimore, Maryland, a 46 year-old woman had unprotected intercourse with her husband.
Shortly thereafter, she began suffering from “profuse sweating, inflammation, and dizziness.”
As if that wasn’t bad enough, according to The New York Post, within the next few hours she began to experience “intense itchiness, diarrhea, and dangerously low blood pressure.”
Before long, she was rushed to Sinai Hospital, where doctors quickly began to treat her for sepsis.
A woman from Baltimore ended up in ER after unprotected sex triggered an allergic reaction to penicillin. Unfortunately for the woman, the mans penis wasn’t covered under her HMO. #Trending— Alan Boccadoro (@bocc1_) November 7, 2019
But the physicians on duty figured out shortly thereafter that the root of her problem was the sex.
It turns out the woman was allergic to penicillin. She didn’t ingest any…but her husband did.
The husband was being treated for a heart infection with antibiotics, some of which transferred into her during sex. Her body overreacted to the penicillin and went into shock.
Man, I just hate when that happens!— Michael Holmes (@doramu) March 12, 2019
After doctors figured out the issue, the woman was given treatment and allowed to leave the hospital within 24 hours.
However, she was given a bit of an interesting prescription: no sex with the husband until a week after he’s finished his course of antibiotics.
So in the future, the warning label goes where, her forehead or his ...— John Quinn (@jeqesq) March 12, 2019
Two other similar cases have come to light recently, including one instance of oral sex which became the subject of a case study.
It warned intimate couples to be careful of the drugs prescribed to each other.
“Though anaphylactic reactions secondary to seminal transfer of allergens are exceedingly rare. The prescribing provider must take into account the hazards of allergic reactions and adverse side effects, not only for the patient but also for the patient’s family.”
Would it be tasteless to comment that with "That blows"? Asking for a friend.— WWEdeadman???? (@WWEdeadman) March 12, 2019
As always, be safe during sex.
You just never know what could happen.