According to Allure, a woman from Indianapolis has died after what she initially thought was a pimple turned out to be flesh-eating bacteria. She had gone on an annual vacation with her husband in Clearwater, Florida, and when she returned, she developed a sore on her buttock about the size of a nickel.
She went to the doctor twice and was prescribed antibiotics and a heating pad. When this didn’t resolve the issue, she went back a third time. The area was biopsied, and she was diagnosed with a flesh-eating bacteria called necrotizing fasciitis.
She was immediately rushed into surgery and spent the next two weeks in the intensive care unit. She died at home on May 11th after being released from the hospital. The coroner is currently trying to ascertain if the flesh-eating bacterial infection was a contributing factor.
According to the CDC…
“People with necrotizing fasciitis often start having symptoms within a few hours after an injury. The symptoms may seem like another illness or injury. For example, some people may complain of pain or soreness, similar to that of a “pulled muscle.” The skin may be warm with red or purplish areas of swelling that spread rapidly. Some people get ulcers, blisters, or black spots on the skin. Patients often describe their pain as severe and hurting much more than they would expect based on how the wound looks. Later symptoms can include:
- Fatigue (tiredness)
These confusing symptoms may delay a person from seeking medical attention. If you have these symptoms after a wound, see a doctor right away.”
However, they also explain…
“Necrotizing fasciitis is rare. Your chances of getting it are extremely low if you have a strong immune system and practice good hygiene and proper wound care.”
People were shocked…
O M G That's Horrible & After THREE Trips To The Dr...— Nikki (@AtxGirlnScrubbs) May 12, 2018
Everyone Should Read This Story ?
God bless her ??????— Jeanne Olsen (@ruby33tw) May 12, 2018
Sooooooooo sad ??????????— Edith Schreiber (@LivingInTx2018) May 12, 2018
Horrible.— Jimni27 (@jimni27) May 12, 2018
So sad. So strange!!— Hamza Malik (@Hxma1ik) May 15, 2018
Others offered their condolences…
How terrible. I’m sorry for your loss.— nameless (@namelesslan) May 15, 2018
My dearest condolences! The dear person probably couldn’t believe what was happening and her family couldn’t help but support! She’s is Heaven, but hard in the family. So a new flesh eating bacteria that is in hot tubs was found and I hope soon a cure!— love child (@lovechi60577687) May 15, 2018
Our thoughts are with the family.