An inspection by the New Mexico Department of Health last week resulted in urgent news for the customers of VIP Spa in Albuquerque.
The inspection revealed maintenance practices by the spa that proved conducive to infections transmitted through blood contamination; infections like Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B, and HIV. The health department is urging any clients of the spa’s to get tested immediately, especially those who received a so-called “vampire facials.”
Vampire facials rely on the use of tiny needles to withdraw blood, centrifuge it in order to multiply platelets, then re-inject it back into the patient’s face. The practice saw a boost in popularity after a 2013 Instagram post by Kim Kardashian.
The news has former clients of the spa deeply unsettled, with one saying:
“Honestly, it made me sick to my stomach right away. Just everything starts coming to mind. The regrets, not knowing that you trusted someone so much. You just pretty much trust that everything was going to be fine,”
The spa has shut its doors for the foreseeable future, citing a “family emergency.”
Meanwhile, the news is creating a buzz on Twitter.
I know of heroin addicts that have managed to use clean needles every time for years. You’d think a professional could manage it.
— William Bock (@villhelmbock) September 15, 2018
— C.O.P.I.N.G. (@theyarecoping) September 16, 2018
Who comes up with these ridiculous “treatments”?
— Dr. Rin Porter (@rporter610) September 14, 2018
While the spa is in the wrong, many seem to be blaming the very customers put at risk.
What would possess anyone to try something like this?! Have people lost their minds??
— Betsy Sparks (@betsy_sparks13) September 14, 2018
If you get HIV from going to get a Vampire Facial that’s just natural selection at work tbh
— Stream Remember Me (@AdorabIeHyuck) September 14, 2018
Wow lol pic.twitter.com/9AjTa0Lhjv
— Steve (@longblockchain) September 14, 2018
— melomys (@melomys) September 14, 2018
While the New Mexico Health Department is doing a fine job at getting the word out for VIP’s customers to get tested, the fact that the spa’s practices have necessitated this…sucks.