in , ,

Couple Who Squandered $400,000 Of Homeless Man’s GoFundMe Get A Visit From The Police

By now, everyone is familiar with the feel-good story about the couple who raised over $400,000 for a homeless veteran who spent his last $20 helping the woman in distress when she ran out of gas. And how it went horribly wrong.

The story quickly turned ugly when it was revealed that the couple, Katie McClure and her boyfriend Mark D’Amico, didn’t give the Marine Corps veteran and former firefighter Johnny Bobbitt, Jr most of the money. Nor did they buy him a home or a vehicle of his own or set the funds up in trust accounts, as McClure originally promised after they raised $402,706.

Instead, most of the money was gone.

Now it seems, New Jersey prosecutors have confirmed that a warrant was issued to search the couples home. Burlington County Prosecutor Scott A. Coffina issued the following statement:

“Due to the enormous public interest in this matter, I am confirming that a search warrant was executed early this morning by the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office and the Florence Township Police Department at the residence of Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter.”

“As of this time, there have been no charges filed. Further updates will be provided as circumstances warrant.”

Homeless veteran Bobbitt, 35, claims that he has only received a small portion of the money promised him and that the couple spent the rest on vacations, a BMW and gambling.

For their part, McClure and D’Amico claim they bought Bobbitt an RV they parked on McClure’s family’s land and a truck they kept in McClure’s name, but didn’t want to give him the rest of the money because “Bobbit is a drug addict.” The camper and truck were subsequently sold after Bobbit was kicked out by D’Amico.

However, Bobbit petitioned a judge to have the remaining funds set up in a trust with an executor, not to have them given to him directly. And the couple originally claimed they would put the majority of the funds in trusts and provide a separate small bank account with only enough for Bobbit’s daily expenses. While D’Amico once told reporters the trusts had been set up, he later changed his story and said they never set up the trusts.

D’Amico accused Bobbitt of going through the $25,000 they put in an account he had access to in two weeks, claiming it was spent on gifts for his family, outstanding bills and drugs. Bobbitt acknowledged some of the money went to drugs, but most went to his parents and other family members who supported him through the years as well as to pay his old bills.

And now it appears all of the money is gone.

Bobbitt told ABC News:

“I wish it didn’t come to this. I hate that it came to this.”

On August 27, McClure and D’Amico appeared on Today with Megyn Kelly to tell their side of the story. However their story on the program differed from some accounts they previously gave to reporters.

Watch the video here: 

And just a few days later their story changed again.

People reacted strongly to the couple’s changing versions of events.

People are very angry. 

Others thought that perhaps good intentions turned bad. 

The couple is now under scrutiny. 

GoFundMe has promised that Bobbitt will get the entire $400,000. 

Bobbitt entered a drug rehabilitation center on Friday to get the help he asked for.

His Attorney told the court:

“Johnny Bobbitt will be in a residential drug program starting today or tomorrow. He’s been given a 30-day scholarship for a residential drug program.”

H/T: ABC News, CNN

 

Written by Jonna Ivin

Jonna Ivin is the founder of STIR Journal and writer of the essay, I Know Why Poor Whites Chant, Trump, Trump, Trump. She has appeared on NPR, OPB, The Roland Martin Show and KCRW. Jonna is the author of the books Will Love For Crumbs, 8th Amendment, and, Sister Girl. Her writing has been featured in Good Magazine, STIR Journal, The Establishment, and xoJane. Twitter @jonnaivin