Rene Craighead, a 17-year-old from Memphis, Tennessee, was in the hospital after losing her gallbladder. Seen for severe stomach pain, the teen ended up having an emergency Cholecystectomy.
And the overconsumption of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos could be to blame.
Her distraught mother decided to turn the incident into a public service announcement to warn others about the potentially harmful bag of hot cheese puffs.
— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) July 24, 2018
“When my daughter had to have this surgery, I knew I had to tell everybody about it,” Renee Craighead told News 3.
Spicy snacks – like Hot Cheetos, Takis, and Hot Fries – are all the rage. The products are flying off the shelves in stores.
But the notion of “everything in moderation” couldn’t be more pertinent here.
Craighead said her daughter loved Hot Cheetos so much, she enabled her daughter’s cravings by frequently purchasing the snacks in bulk.
“She loves them.”
“Every time I go out she says, ‘Bring me back some Hot Takis, bring me back some Hot Chips’.”
“I want to make her happy, so I brought them back.”
“She was eating big bags and would take them to school with her.”
Rene was reportedly eating approximately four bags of hot snacks a week.
and the fact that she ate four large bags a week ?
— ?Zombie Queen? (@Acidglowflies) July 26, 2018
It didn’t take long for her daughter to begin to feel sick to her stomach. That discomfort eventually led to a Cholecystectomy, which is gallbladder removal surgery.
Dr. Cary Cavender, a gastroenterologist at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, believes the excessive amount of the spicy snacks did the teenager in.
He would know. The hospital “easily” sees 100 similar cases a month.
“We do see tons of gastritis and ulcer-related stuff due to it.”
I also had gallbladder problems but this wasn't the only issue. It could be soda as well. Junk food period could be problem as well.
— ❁ Sandra (@darthsanderelly) July 24, 2018
While the incident was undoubtedly terrible to experience, some people couldn’t ignore the fact Rene was allowed to eat as much of the addictive snacks as she did.
— Javier Marmol (@havgiraffe) July 24, 2018
People debated over the reason why the teen suffered.
The heat/spice has nothing to do with it
Your gallbladder contracts in response to ANY fatty foods
So she likely developed cholecystitis due to the fat content of the chips, not because they were “Hot”
— Pusha MD ™️ (@PushaMD) July 25, 2018
I had my gallbladder removed at 17. I ate healthy food my entire childhood. Stone fruit would bring on an attack the same way fats would. It's not as simple as "eating junk/spicy food.
— Snark?????? (@Smartymarty66) July 24, 2018
Someone learned their lesson early.
I have eaten a lot back then at age 12 and went to the hospital for that. Thats why you don’t see me eat those ever again lol
— Zer0 (@Zer0isurHer0) July 24, 2018
I eat em once in a blue moon. Glad you okay though
— Skyvin X (@Skyvin_X) July 24, 2018
Is all good. No more hot cheetos tho haha
— Zer0 (@Zer0isurHer0) July 24, 2018
Did I mention Hot Cheetos are addictive?
@Daniellwie if this didn’t say teen I would assume it was you because your love for hot cheetos ?
— k (@reinachicana_) July 25, 2018
If that’s how I go that’s how I go?♀️
— Angela W (@angela_mariee3) July 25, 2018
This isn’t the first time Hot Cheetos and Takis were in the hot seat for their nutritional value.
Or lack thereof.
In 2012, the highly salty and fatty snacks were banned from schools in California, New Mexico and Illinois. The reason was not the spiciness but because of dietary concerns for middle school students.
According to the Huffington Post, each bag contains “26 grams of fat and a quarter of the amount of sodium recommended daily.”
But the snacks are not just bad for you.
Because of the food coloring in the spicy coatings, the students leave red fingerprints on everything they touch. All those red fingerprints are a nuisance for the janitors to constantly wipe off.