In India, a patient suspected of suffering from the virus responsible for the global pandemic met a tragic end after his family reportedly unplugged his ventilator so they could plug in an AC unit to cool the room.
The unnamed 40-year-old man had been hospitalized since June 13 according to The Indian Express.
With a high temperature of roughly 106 degrees, Maharao Bhimsingh Hospital in Kota was so hot his family brought in an air conditioning unit from their home.
Hospital staff had deactivated the building’s window AC units to help halt the spread of the virus.
Man died at hospital after relatives unplugged ventilator for air conditioner?! https://t.co/4l3tpHK0rt
— KC O'Dea Program (@KCOnTheRadio) June 24, 2020
After failing to find a place to plug it in, the family unplugged the patient’s ventilator to use that spot.
— David Alan Grier (@davidalangrier) June 23, 2020
Though the ventilator had a backup battery, the man’s family didn’t tell the hospital staff what they had done.
After 30 minutes, the battery failed and the family rushed to find assistance.
To air is human.
— Hugh Love to See It (@hughknowit) June 24, 2020
Hospital workers administered CPR but were unable to revive the 40-year-old, who was pronounced dead.
I thought this is a parody account at first.
— Thor, Son Of Odin (@asgardwalathor) June 20, 2020
The incident is now under investigation, with Dr. Navin Saxena telling VICE News:
“We have set up a committee with the deputy superintendent of the hospital, nursing superintendent, isolation ward staff and chief medical officer to file a report that details what happened.”
Since it was very hot in the isolation ward, the patient's family members bought an air cooler. On finding no socket for the cooler, they allegedly unplugged the ventilator but almost half-an-hour later, the ventilator ran out of power.#Covid19 #Kota https://t.co/Axr7eP2BY1
— Outlook Magazine (@Outlookindia) June 20, 2020
After his death, the 40-year-old’s test for the virus was declared negative.
They should charged with manslaughter
— Lord Stephen Connor (@sierracharley60) June 24, 2020
It’s important to be very careful with hospital equipment and to always check with a doctor before unplugging anything.