This somehow sounds both like an urban legend and also the worst Saturday night ever.
A 31 year old unidentified woman from Alicante, Spain was rushed to the hospital after having a severe anaphylactic reaction to trace amount of penicillin in her partner’s semen.
The reaction began only a few moments following the act.
By the time the woman showed up to the emergency room of the General University Hospital of Alicante, she was “vomiting profusely, had shortness of breath and her entire body was covered in hives.”
A woman in Spain has Anaphylactic reaction to semen in first reported case of its kind after an oral sexual contact, breaking out into hives. The man had been taking penicillin medication for his ear infection and this woman was actually diagnosed with… https://t.co/Hl4400J4FC pic.twitter.com/uh2a64ESDG
— Matt Ward (@mattwardio) March 15, 2019
A woman went into anaphylactic shock after swallowing semen during oral sex on her partner who had taken penicillin medication. Gotta be careful on the streets AND the sheets!
— ???? (@KristenKayrouz) March 14, 2019
Anaphylactic shock after swallowing semen. The moral of the story here is to obviously stop sucking d*** pic.twitter.com/NcihU48Zf8
— maybe: Lee (@_justloveLEE) March 12, 2019
You cant unsee this now???? https://t.co/F1N9gJeL81
— Jurdel Gallano (@Jurdel443) March 11, 2019
Possibly the worst way to learn you are allergic to antibiotics? https://t.co/MBZo9lQxk5 (add obvious penis-cillin jokes here)
— Mike Opelka (@stuntbrain) March 11, 2019
At first doctors thought it could be a sperm allergy—which sadly is a real thing and involves being allergic to one or more of the proteins found in seminal plasma—but the woman had no history of this allergy in any past relationship.
news article: woman suffers anaphylactic shock after swallowing partner's semen
my mum: that's why you should always spit and not swallow
— ☾ bitchcraft ☾ (@mermaidbl00d) March 11, 2019
Today on: “Did Not Expect That To Need A Warning Label”https://t.co/qOZSr6YgGc
— Sir Fox (@DemonBob_Badman) March 11, 2019
Obviously that experience left a bad taste in ‘er mouth
— NoHoldsBarred_Vet (@NoholdsbarredV) March 11, 2019
If you’re allergic to penicillins, please confirm with your boyfriend/hubby/partner/spouse/fvckboy/sex worker that he isn’t on an antibiotic course containing penicillins. https://t.co/JrCwQ0aV23
— Gqiha Bae (@DrBaeMalinga) March 11, 2019
I know there is a point to this story, but in her shoes, I would have lied to the hospital staff or something. https://t.co/KmSZn9vXN5
— Loukia Borrell (@LoukiaBorrell) March 11, 2019
One would never think that could happen. Something to totally consider if this should happen.
— Ginger Root (@iamgingerroot) March 11, 2019
Epi Pen just got the call to update their promotional material https://t.co/Gu1v2wZ0T0
— LowPlainsGrifter™️and nobody else (@LowPlainsGrfter) March 11, 2019
Spit. Don't swallow.
— Rose Colored Glasses (@DonaldSwanson14) March 11, 2019
The man was taking ibuprofen and Augmentin, a type of antibiotic containing amoxicillin.
He’d recently taken a dose four hours prior to their sexual contact. And the woman was diagnosed as a child with a penicillin allergy—thereby explaining the reaction.
However, the case was still unusual enough that it warranted a case study.
“To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of a possible amoxicillin induced anaphylaxis in a woman after an oral sexual contact with a man who was taking the drug.”
— Elena Haskins (@ElenaHaskins) March 11, 2019
— Vincent De Mello ???????????????????????????????????? (@vincedemello) March 11, 2019
— KathleenH (@Kathleen2752) March 11, 2019
Thankfully, the patient was treated with epinephrine and made a full recovery. The doctors recommend using condoms for oral sex if your partner is taking any medication you may be allergic to.
The case study concludes:
“We think that as clinicians it is important to be aware of this phenomenon … to inform and prevent potentially serious reactions in sensitized patients.”