Last Saturday night, a father from Texas died while hanging Christmas lights for a client in the neighborhood.
While visiting their third client for the day, Flick and their son were working in the front yard while Gallegos completed the task of mounting the Christmas lights on the neighborâ€™s roof.
Flick and their son heard a loud crash, and when Flick went to check what it was, she discovered her husband lying on the cement, crying for help.
â€œWe heard something, and I got out and I went over there, and he was laying on the concrete. He was saying, â€˜Help me, help me,’ and so I called 911.â€
Gallegos was rushed to the hospital with a fractured skull and other injuries. Despite the doctorsâ€™ best attempts, however, Gallegos sadly passed away at Medical City Denton as a result of his fall.
â€œHe had a skull fracture and bleeding in the brain and then he had a chest fracture. And they had to drain blood from his chest. And they rushed him into emergency surgery, but he didnâ€™t make it.â€
Flick and her son are still dealing with the shock of the accident, especially after she and Gallegos had successfully run the business of putting up Christmas lights for several years without injury.
Theyâ€™re also trying to figure out how they will move forward, especially at this time of the year, with their business providing the primary income.
But Gallegos made a promise to Flick years ago, saying that they would be okay if anything ever happened to him.
It turns out Gallegos was right, as countless community members have contributed to a GoFundMe page dedicated to the family. Nearly 60-thousand dollars have been raised so far.