Jenna Evans, of San Diego, California awoke recently to discover that she had made a terrible mistake while sleepwalking: she had taken her engagement ring right off her finger and swallowed it!
Evans remembers dreaming of swallowing the 2. 4 carat diamond ring in a dream and starting to wake up, but the idea that she had really swallowed her ring was too absurd to be real so she went back to sleep.
“I was having a dream that Bobby and I were in a very sketchy situation involving a high speed train and bad guys (I have very exciting and vivid dreams) and he told me I had to swallow my ring to protect it; so I popped that sucker off, put it in my mouth and swallowed it with a glass of water riiiight about the time I realized what I was doing.”
“I assumed this too was a dream, because WHO ACTUALLY SWALLOWS THEIR ENGAGEMENT RING, so I went back to sleep.”
In an interview with NBC 7 San Diego, Jenna said that she has a history of sleepwalking but has never eaten anything while sleeping before.
After waking up the next morning Evans looked down to see that her engagement ring was, indeed, missing from her ring finger and knew that she had really swallowed it. She then told Bobby Howell, her fiancé, who was understandably a bit skeptical at first.
“I don’t think he believed me right away. We laughed pretty hard for about an hour and a half, called my mom, laughed until we were crying, googled ‘do other adults swallow rings’ because kids do it all the time, but apparently it’s less common for adults.”
The pair eventually decided it was time to seek medical attention and went to an urgent care center for x-rays.
“The doctor ordered an Xray and seemed pretty shocked when she walked back in with a second doctor and showed me that sure enough, my ring was right there in my stomach!”
The doctor at the clinic recommended a specialist handle the situation. They also suggested that Jenna see a sleep specialist about her sleepwalking.
Upon meeting with the gastroenterologist (a stomach and digestive system specialist) an emergency upper endoscopy was recommended to retrieve the ring before it moved further down her digestive tract.
“They called a gastroenterologist and decided it would be best NOT to let nature take its course. (Thank God)”
“I was really happy because I don’t know if I can look at it and appreciate it in the same way if I had to ‘search’ for it.”
The procedure was a success, though Evans did not react well when coming out of anesthesia and said she cried inconsolably upon waking; the ring was retrieved and entrusted to Bobby for safekeeping.
After a post-op trip to In-N-Out Burger for some fortifying fast food, Jenna went home to recover from the procedure with her canine companion Brazos (who she says is a good boy who doesn’t eat things that he’s not supposed to).
You can read Evans’ full account of the events, and see x-rays, images from the endoscope, and recovery photos below:
Some folks shared well-wishes and concern for Jenna.
Others appreciated the humor of the situation.
Jenna’s story is even getting international attention!
All’s well that ends well.
Jenna has fully recovered from the procedure and she and Bobby are still on track to be married next May.
“Bobby finally gave my ring back this morning – I promised not to swallow it again, we’re still getting married and all is right in the world.”
“I feel very grateful that I got it back and that it does end as a happy, funny story,”
Listen to the first four episodes of George Takei’s podcast, ‘Oh Myyy Pod!‘ where we explore the racially charged videos that have taken the internet by storm.
Be sure to subscribe here and never miss an episode.